Even though it went ‘without a hitch’, excuse the pun!……there still may be one or two things that if you had your wedding day on the Sunshine Coast again, you may have done a little differently.
I list the most commonly mentioned things Sunshine Coast brides and grooms would have re-thought, or advice that they wish to pass on to their friends who may be planning their own marriage or elopement in Noosa or on the Sunshine coast:
Starting with my own elopement 22 years ago a small regret I can think of is not having any family members at all with me. We decided to get married spontaneously and as quickly as possible (in fact obtaining a shortening of the required 30 day notice period due to pre arranged travel tickets) with just my husband’s family present. This didn’t leave time to arrange for any of my family to join us from overseas. Even though my husband’s family were very welcoming, being able to share it with someone from my own side would have made it even more special. Still it didn’t affect our marriage, we are still going strong after 2 decades plus!
Keep to your guest list and avoid any well-meaning family members claiming rights to it! If you have a list of you wish to be at your wedding, be strong and stick to it…….this is your occasion, trying to please everyone who your family or friends think should be on there will only add to your budget and send the signal that anyone is welcome which unfortunately is not the case! A general rule of thumb is “haven’t seen them in over a year….don’t invite them” sounds harsh but the reality is you really only want your nearest and dearest family and closest friends to celebrate this joyous occasion with you.
Make sure you are entirely sure what flowers you are ordering and again that you and your Sunshine Coast florist is on the same page to avoid ideas and interpretations getting lost in translation, read my previous blog with more ideas on this theme with the lovely Bec from Blooms of Noosa: https://www.philippaholness.com/noosa-and-sunshine-coast-wedding-ceremony-and-reception-flowers/
If possible stick to your dreams and visions or you may regret it. If you have always imagined your dad walking you down the aisle, giving you away or having the first dance with you, do it as much for your father as for you. It may be tempting not to, as more contemporary trends gain popularity; all four parents ‘giving away’ and offering love and support to the couple, the bride walking alone as an independent woman down the aisle or with her children but you may never know how much he has been anticipating this responsibility his whole life.
A ‘run’ sheet and Sunshine Coast Wedding suppliers details is hugely important for all concerned to be able to liaise with each other and ensure everyone is on the same page as far as contact numbers, timing, back up plans and mutual expectations.
I have contacted some recent brides and asked them the simple question; if you could have your Noosa Wedding again…….with the same person of course 😉 what would you do differently next time? Some of their answers are quite surprising!
- I would have had a stylist to avoid the stress of decorating everything myself and what was in the end an assortment of put together items that I spent ages searching for and trying to match up. Now I don’t know what to do with them as they contain the memories of our day and I’m reluctant to let them go even though they are contributing to clutter that I can do without!
- I would have had professional hair and make up for those once in a lifetime wedding photos when you really want to look your best. I thought I wanted to look like myself and just natural, but in the photos I think hair and make-up would have really enhanced them.
- A footnote to this is making sure you have a makeup and hair trial which is often included in your package again so you are all on the same page and there are no surprises on the big day!
- I wish we had stuck to our dreams and had it a Noosa Beach Wedding as we wanted. The beach always had so many memories for us but we reluctant to have or ceremony there as we were imagining our guests would have preferred a manicured lawn to walk on, now we wish we had gone with our instinct and are planning our 5 year vow renewal-on the beach!
- Checked our passports were valid and ready for the honeymoon, this has happened more than once and is a bit of stress before the big day that can definitely be avoided!
- Delegated tasks to trusted friends and family and ask for help with the little things so I could have enjoyed the build-up more.
- Eloped in Noosa and had a big party instead afterwards! It would have saved a huge expense and been more meaningful for the two of us.
I had the pleasure of being the Marriage Celebrant in Noosa at the beautiful ceremony of Jess and her beloved Johan when they married at Casuarina Gardens right in the heart of Noosa’s wedding groves said “I guess the only thing we would have changed is to not sweat the little stuff (like the pending rain). Both of us made a real effort to take in every moment during the lead up.
Above all, don’t lose sight of the big picture and remember exactly what you and your husband to be are actually doing. It’s impossible to please everyone, and in the end your wedding on the Sunshine Coast and Noosa is about the 2 of you!
Finally, this quote really resonates with me: All the nervousness and excitement just got the better of me and I forgot to focus on what’s most important: That I was marrying the love of my life. ~ Esther, at Belle and Chic, Stylish Mediterranean Weddings